Friday October 18, 2019

SPRING 2013 POLICYMAKERS TRIP TO CHINA

March 27-April 5, 2013

In late March, during a congressional recess, the USCPF left for China with another congressional delegation. The Policymakers Educational Trip to China program was, once again, a great success. The USCPF took a diverse group of senior staff members, from both the U.S. House and Senate, on a ten-day educational tour around China hosted by the Chinese People’s Institute of Foreign Affairs (CPIFA). The delegation spent time in Beijing, Guiyang, and Shanghai.

Our Spring 2013 delegation was made up of 13 congressional staff members from all regions of the U.S. Republicans and Democrats were pretty evenly represented. The group was primarily made up of chiefs of staff, legislative directors, and senior staff from the offices of newly elected members of congress. The USCPF was excited for the opportunity to engage staff from so many new congressional offices and to give these individuals a chance to experience China for the first time. None of the participants had visited China before.

The delegation first visited China’s Capital city, Beijing, to explore China’s political hub and speak with government officials. They met first with DCM Dr. Robert Wang and other U.S. officials at the U.S. Embassy. This provided an American perspective on the overall U.S.-China Relationship and other key issues that would come up again in meetings at China’s Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Commerce. In addition to official meetings, participants visited some of Beijing’s important historic sites, such as the Great Wall and the Forbidden City.

Next, the delegation visited Guiyang, in the rural province of Guizhou, and the urban metropolis of Shanghai. These two cities added diversity and depth to the trip, allowing participants to witness both a rural, poorer, minority region, and China’s modern, commercial hub. The delegation also had the chance to meet with municipal officials in Guiyang and students and faculty from Fudan University and the China Executive Leadership Academy in Shanghai.

The Policymakers Educational Trip to China provided an opportunity for Congressional staff members to experience the history, culture, and diversity of China. The mission of the delegation was to provide Congressional staff members with greater understanding and insight into the vital U.S.-China relationship. We hope our participants will use the first-hand experience and knowledge of China they gained to assist in their work with their members of Congress.

Spring 2013 Policymakers Delegation Participants

Teresa Acuña, Legislative Director
Rep. Gloria Negrete McLeod (D-CA)

Yuri Beckelman, Legislative Director
Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA)

Adam Deguire, Chief of Staff
Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ)

Skyla Freeman, Communications Director
Rep. Mo. Brooks (R-AL)

Chris Fisher, Legislative Director
Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-FL)

Rosalyn Kumar, Deputy Chief of Staff
Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI)

Gordon Larsen, Legislative Director
Rep. Chris Steward (R-UT)

Chris Marklund, Legislative Director
Rep. David Valadao (R-CA)

Ken Montoya, Legislative Director
Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick (D-AZ)

Janine Pairis, Legislative Director
Rep. Juan Vargas (D-CA)

Rachana Shah, Asia Policy Advisor
Rep. Grace Meng (D-NY)

Loree Anne Thompson, Communications Director
Rep. Doug Collins (R-MS)

Will Todd, Deputy Legislative Director
Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS)