Friday October 18, 2019

NOVEMBER 2013 POLICYMAKERS TRIP TO CHINA

November 23-December 1, 2013

The U.S.-China Policy Foundation led our third 2013 Policymakers Trip to China from November 23-December 1. This congressional staff delegation visited Beijing, Shanghai, and the Jiangsu Province cities of Nanjing and Changzhou. The trip highlighted Chinese government, commerce, and development. The delegation consisted of senior staff members from both houses of Congress, Republicans and Democrats, and representatives from all regions of the United States.

Participants began their trip in Beijing. They spoke with Deputy Chief of Mission Dan Kritenbrink and other officials at the U.S. Embassy about the current status of U.S.-China relations from the U.S. perspective. The delegation then had a briefing with the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs to hear the Chinese point of view on the same topic.

In Beijing, the delegation also met with the National Development and Reform Commission and had an informal conversation with various academics at a discussion hosted by the Consensus Media Group. Participants got a chance to visit political and historical sites as well, including the Great Hall of the People, the Great Wall, and the Forbidden City.

After Beijing, the delegation left for Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu Province and one of the Five Great Ancient Capitals of China. Participants had meetings with the Jiangsu Department of Commerce and Development and Reform Commission, spoke with students at the Nanjing Foreign Language School, met with local officials, and learned about Nanjing’s history.

The group then departed for Changzhou via high-speed train. Changzhou gave participants an opportunity to see a smaller newly developing city and meet with officials there. After leaving Changzhou, participants headed to China’s largest city and economic center, Shanghai, offering a contrast to the smaller Changzhou.

In Shanghai, the delegation explored Shanghai’s economic hub, visiting the Shanghai City Planning Exhibition Hall and the newly created China (Shangahi) Pilot Free Trade Zone. Participants also visited the China Executive Leadership Academy in Pudong, a Chinese Communist Party school.

The delegation had the opportunity to engage in informal conversations with officials, business leaders, and academics, allowing for candid dialogue, increased understanding, and improved bilateral ties. Delegations like these provide U.S. policymakers with a better understanding of China, allowing a more rounded approach to their work.

The U.S.-China Policy Foundation was honored to host another Policymakers Trip and thanks the Chinese People’s Institute of Foreign Affairs (CPIFA) for their help making the trip a success.

November 2013 Policymakers Delegation Participants

Brian Ahlberg, Chief of Staff
Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA)

Natalee Binkholder, Legislative Assistant
Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC)

Caroline Darmody, Legislative Assistant
Rep. Joseph Kennedy III (D-MA)

Michael Essington, Legislative Counsel
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL)

Jeff Freeland, Legislative Director
Rep. Chris Collins (R-NY)

Kaylan Koszela, Legislative Director
Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ)

Joseph Lentrichia, Senior Software Architect
Congressional Research Service

George O’Connor, Legislative Assistant
Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA)

Jacque Ponder, Chief of Staff
Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO)