Monday October 14, 2019

APRIL 2014 POLICYMAKERS TRIP TO CHINA

April 13-23, 2014

From April 13-23, The U.S.-China Policy Foundation led another successful Policymakers Trip to China. The spring delegation traveled to Beijing, Kunming, Lijiang, and Shenzhen. This trip focused on China’s development, education, and government. The delegation was made up of senior staff members working for both houses of Congress, representing Democrats, Republicans, and Independents and various different regions of the United States.

The participants had a full schedule in Beijing. They attended briefings at the US Embassy, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Commerce, and the Ministry of Education. These meetings gave the delegation a comprehensive background on China, China’s education and commerce, and U.S.-China relations that provided valuable context for their future meetings.

They also met with students at the Peking University School of International Studies, where they discussed the Chinese education system, American students studying in China, and misunderstandings and differences between the U.S. and China. Before leaving Beijing, participants also visited Dandelion Middle School, a non-profit school providing education for low-income migrant worker’s children.

The delegation then traveled to Yunnan, a Chinese province known for its ethnic diversity. There are 25 ethnic minorities in Yunnan province. In Kunming, Yunnan’s capital city, the delegation had the opportunity to visit Yunnan Nationalities High School, a school dedicated to providing education for students of 33 different nationalities. Participants also met with representatives from teh Standing Committee of Yunnan’s Provincial People’s Congress.

In Lijiang, which is in a more rural area of Yunnan Province, the congressional staff delegation visited Baisha Primary school. Visiting Kunming and Lijiang gave the delegation the opportunity to experience the ethnic diversity of China and see some of its more rural areas. While in Yunnan, the participants also witnessed some of China’s beautiful natural scenery.

After visiting Yunnan, the delegation traveled to Shenzhen. Shenzhen is a southern city in China that is right next to Hong Kong. It was the first city opened up to economic development in the 1980s and is a model city of China’s rapid economic growth. While in Shenzhen, the delegation visited the Shenzhen Museum, met with the Shenzhen Foreign Language School, and spoke with a monk at the Hong Fa Buddhist Temple.

The delegation was able to see many different types of schools, meet with local officials, and engage in candid conversations that increased their overall understanding of China. The U.S.-China Policy Foundation was pleased to host another Policymakers Trip and hopes the participants will be able to share what they learned with their respective offices. We would also like to thank the Chinese People’s Institute of Foreign Affairs (CPIFA) for their help making the trip a success.

April 2014 Participants

Sarah Bolton, Senior Policy Adviser
Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)

Dustin Carmack, Legislative Director
Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL)

Kirk L. Clinkenbeard, Chief of Staff
Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX)

Stephen Denis, Deputy Chief of Staff
Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH)

Jonathan Hirte, Legislative Director
Rep. Tim Walberg (R-MI)

Tim Hysom, Chief of Staff
Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-CA)

Russ Kelley, Legislative Director
Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR)

Meagan McCanna, Legislative Director
Rep. John Kline (R-MN)

Jonathan Nabavi, Legislative Director
Rep. George Holding (R-NC)

Megan Savage, Legislative Director
Rep. Susan Brooks (R-IN)

Jacob Smith, Policy Adviser
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Matt Weiner, Legislative Director
Rep. Susan Davis (D-CA)